Trying to pack can be one of the hardest things to plan, especially if you’ll be gone for several months and through changing seasons!
But, I’ve found here are some of the basic necessities, below. If you need anything else, make sure to bring some extra cash just in case (like if your luggage gets lost like mine did). Or, just learn to be very very creative and rely on your instincts.
Here’s my list:
Passport ID Visa card Backup visa card (this came in very handy when my first card was cut off unexpectedly)
Cash – $120-$150
—— The above are a necessity —- with these you can get anywhere or do anything. I would pack all these in a money pack, like Eagle Creek money belts from REI, so nothing is lost.
Tip: I would also carry an extra set of clothes in your CARRY ON if you have room. Even just something light, like underwear and a t-shirt. Don’t forget toothbrush and deodorant too.
- Underwear – enough for 1-2 weeks
- Socks – 2 pair
- Flip flops – 1 pair (optional shower pair also)
- Tennies / walking shoes – 1 pair Dress shoes – 1 pair (optional)
- Jeans – 1 pair Pants – 1 pairShorts/Capris – 2 pair
- Tshirts – 2 Tanktop – 2 Long tops – 2 (best if these can go over the tanktops, good to pack layers to put on and undo)
Tip: Cut out anything you can. Study the season(s) beforehand. Is it cold at night? How do they dress? Will you be doing hiking? If you are in a very hot climate, shed shed shed. If it is temperate during the day but chilly at night, pack smart layers.
1. Travel laptop > see blog for reviews, I carry an Acer Aspire One laptop.
Tip: If you’re working, I would recommend a travel laptop. If you want to save weight/space and travel free of worry, I would rely on trusty, cheap internet cafes.
2. Pocket-sized camera + camera card
Tip: Again, if you aren’t working on a photo or film project, why not just get the practical, cheap camera that you wouldn’t cry over losing. I sold my two nice Canon cameras and bought a Canon SD-110. I don’t have to worry if it’s lost or stolen and I back my pictures up regularly online.
TOILETRIES / OTHER:
- 1 bar soap in container
- Shampoo/conditioner combo in small bottle
- Toothbrush with cap, small toothpaste tube
- Cheap razor Makeup – only necessities Towel – lite dry – from REI
Remember: You can always buy more when you run out. Travelers are also great at helping out if you are in a pinch. It’s more fun to go to the store to find what you need and you’ll be happy you’re carrying less!